Subject: [Leica] What happens at Airport Security when.....
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Sep 30 21:29:00 2007

Time and place: Kauai Airport, September 29, 2007.

OK. I had about 15 rolls of film.  Mixed, 35mm, Tmax100, Fuji 100, 200,
HP5+.  It was all in a clear plastic baggie, just like always.  I asked for
hand inspection, and  a nice Lady TSA agent escorted me to the chemical
sniffer ( Specialized Mass spectrometer for you techie types.)  She informed
me it would take a while as she was instructed to test each roll of film
separately with the wipey thing and then a run each sample through the
equipment.   She is both polite and professional as we talked cameras and
film vs digital as she worked.

Everyone has seen these things, they have a place for the wipey, a CRT
screen with a display of mass vs spectral composition.  When you put in a
wipey, the machine sniffs it, checks things out, then produces a display
that says.. all GO, no problem.

Usually.

We hit roll #7 or so when, out of nowhere, the machine declares:  EXPLOSIVES
DETECTED in really big letters, and starts beeping.

I was surprised that Velvia could do this to me, but what do I know?  She
calls over her supervisor ( I was glued to the floor, with a polite but
embarrassed look on my face.  Not nervous.) who looks at me first, figures
that he will follow procedure and makes sure I am still glued  to one spot,
and will not move.  The nice lady is watching me constantly.

He apologized as he took the one roll of film and put it through the metal
detector, which, of course, I allowed without comment.

Then I meet a male TSA person that was instructed to tap me down.... ( I am
wearing shorts, so it was a top level checkout only).  Twice.

As the tap down is happening, the nice lady is writing something in her
official looking notebook, with my name included.

The metal detector found film inside the cartridge, nothing more.  The film
was returned to me, I was apologized to for the delay.  And sent on my way.

So that is what happens when the sniffer finds a sniff it does not like.  I
thought you should know.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] What happens at Airport Security when.....)