Subject: [Leica] Lens reflections from IR cut filter - Verified
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun Sep 30 19:53:05 2007

I just ran the experiment myself with M8, 'Lux 50 asph, and IR
filter. I duplicated Len's result, but our reflection is not the same
as Howard's in that Len and I got a distorted reflection of the
flashlight's lens, not round but crescentic. Howard's reflected sign
was an apparently linear reflection and without magnification or
minification. I think that Len's and my result comes from a
reflection of the flashlight from a curved surface somewhere inside
the lens (note the green cast, many stops fainter than the primary
image of the flashlight, as would be seen in a coated optic) in turn
reflecting off the filter and imaged as such by the lens; in other
words, the camera is seeing (by reflection) in the filter a
reflection from the camera's lens. I did not get this reflection with
the filter off.

Phil's reflections are similar but not the same. They are located
between the direct image and the center of the frame, not
diametrically opposite the center like all the other reflections
we've been looking at. This indicates that they are reflections in
the filter of reflections from the coated (green cast) front surface
of the lens. (Look different because different lens.)

Neither of the above explains Howard's reversed and linear
reflection, indicating reflection from plane surfaces, which don't
mag/minify and which don't reverse and invert images if they are
parallel. Neither can I. Also, Howard's reflection was bright enough
to be seen against a background that was not black but merely gray,
and was of a primary image that was not densely overexposed as were
my and Len's flashlights.

I don't think this phenomenon arises within the lens/filter system. I
wonder if it's even optical at all. Could it be some kind of
anomalous electronic effect having to do with an "echo", reverse-
order readout of residual charge or some such on the CCD?

Howard, are you having us on? ;-) If so, please wait for April 1st.
If not, please try these things: First, repeat the photo as exactly
as possible, both with and without the filter. Then, using the same
lens and filter (you may use a different camera...!), shoot the same
scene on film. Finally, if you see the effect again in the M8 but not
on film, repeat the whole thing when you get your own M8 back. My
prediction is that, if it persists in the first M8, it won't be
duplicated in the new one. Show us the results.

--howard

Message from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Lens reflections from IR cut filter - Mui Wo Ferry Pier)
Message from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Lens reflections from IR cut filter - Verified)
Message from phamard at numericable.fr (Philippe Amard) ([Leica] Lens reflections from IR cut filter - Verified)