Subject: [Leica] Full Harvest Moon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Sep 26 20:22:03 2007

> On 9/26/07, Bob Shaw <rsphotoimages@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, guys.
>>
>> Say; wouldn't that be the Moonie 16 rule?
>

> It would be, except you are photographing neutral mooscape washed in
> Sunlight.   That is a starting point because it is hard to tell how much
> light pollution is in the atmosphere. Phillipe is  correct in that  the
> moon
> moves pretty fast, so you should use a relatively high ISO, or adjust your
> shutter speed and compensate with a larger f stop.
>
> I don't think he's correct that as it rises it moves faster, it is just
> that
> you have a reference point. Similarly, the moon high in the sky is the same
> diameter as at the horizon.    At the horizon btw, it is likely to be f11
> or
> even f8, because of atmospheric interference.
>

> On 9/26/07, Bob Shaw <rsphotoimages@comcast.net> wrote:

Its so bright and moves so fast  you'd think a tripod would not be necessary
and its not but I've had better luck using one.

And digital helps because you can get an idea through trial and error if you
are using and optimum f stop or not you gotta real zoom right in and check
out your shot for detail.

I only had a 300mm lens so I had to crop which meant I really had to use the
slowest ISO or got too much grain. It did make a big difference when shot at
ISO 100 or 200 the faster ISO's really were too grainy and soft.

Digital is great because you keep shooting trying stuff till you get it.
The moon stays full generally for most the night.

And it full right now it followed me all the way home from just seeing the
worst movie very made. Good Luck Chuck.  A milestone.

Mark William Rabiner
rabinergroup.com