Subject: [Leica] R lens comparison
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 11:51:43 2007

Mark,

I know only one made by Sigma, the 28~70 Vario Elmar R.  I have a copy,
decent optics, but poor mechanicals, as my early copy has gotten sloppy over
the years.  There was a rumor that Zeiss took over this one when they
updated it, but not sure if true.

Minlota made the early zooms, and at least one WA, the 24 Elmarit R.  Which
by the way is the same lens currently on the books, although Leica has been
making it for sometime, and several of the elements have been replaced by
newer glasses, due to older glass being no longer made.  I have one of these
and it performs exceptionaly well.  I had heard at one time, that Minolta
only provided the glass, and Leica did all the assembly from the very
beginning.  Can't verify this, just what I had heard.

You forgot Kyocera, who makes/made the 80 ~ 200 f4 Vario Elmar R.  This lens
is exceptional in performance.  I guess Leica is making this one now, since
Kyocera has gotten out of the optics business.  Don't know if they made any
other lenses though, Doug?

Gene