Subject: [Leica] SLD ? R9.99 ? Link is OK now
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Sep 21 14:21:46 2007

Philippe,
I think that you do not properly understand the retail market.  By far
profits come from the amateur market.  The pro market is possibly a loss
leader to convince the amateur that brand Z is better than brand Y.  If you
saw the prices that the majors sell equipment to newspapers and other large
users of photo equipment you would be very shocked at how little is paid.
Also consider the cost of pro support; if you are properly registered and
known to them they will ship you the most amazing stuff to bail you out.

As far as medium format; for the most part clients just want a file size.
Almost no one cares what took the image.  Exceptions to that rule come from
insecure art directors who think far more about their project than it
deserves.

Why do you think that Leica is pushing the re-badged Panasonics?  Even the
limited profit that they gain from selling their name per camera amounts to
a lot of money.