Subject: [Leica] Migrating to M8: What's Really Necessary?
From: kapner at earthlink.net (Leonard J Kapner)
Date: Fri Aug 31 13:43:11 2007

Dear Friends,

After waiting on the sidelines for awhile to let the new product "froth"
settle, I think I'm ready to migrate to an M8 this autumn.

I have read carefully the comments and complaints of first adopters here,
and the candid feedback over time from knowledgeable owners like Brian,
George, Sonny, Steve, Ted and Tina (to name a few) have helped shape my
expectations.

I use my current M 6/7 system mostly for candid, field documentary and
photojournalism type photography, 80% b/w and 20% color. I am fortunate to
own a rather complete system of Leica brand M-series lenses, ranging in
focal length from 21 to 135mm, most (but NOT all) purchased within the last
10 years.

So, to help me get optimum image value from an M8, my five questions for the
group would be:

1) Which of my lenses MUST be six-bit coded?

2) Is there a reputable source other than Leica USA for this service?

3) In order to mitigate focus shift issues, should my lenses also be
recalibrated at the same time they're coded?

4) In order to recalibrate lenses properly, do the technicians need to have
my M6/7/8 bodies at hand?

5) Are IR cut filters in the necessary ring diameters readily available now
from Leica?

TIA for your advice and guidance!

Len

--