Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 - collectible status
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 31 08:44:40 2007

<john.o.newell@comcast.net> (J. Newell) wrote:

>> In the back of my mind I often wonder if leica lens characteristics
>> that had a certain signature when film was used is also visible when an
>> image is recorded in digital.
>
> I would like to politely suggest that this is either a question without
any possible
> answer or, alternatively, a question with so many answers that it isn't
worth worrying
> about.  Why?  Because when you consider in immense influence of all the
factors in the
> final film product, there is no single "signature" for any lens.

I must respectfully disagree.  The capture medium plays a significant role
but it's an overlay on the 'signature' of the lens.  For example I can
always count on the 280 f/4 APO to deliver mind-boggling detail from the
center to extreme corners, bright crisp colors, a complete tonal range and
an acceptably neutral bokeh whether it's recording its image on the DMR,
K64, E100G, Provia 400F or K200.  Likewise the f/6.8 Telyts deliver clean
bright colors, rich detail and delightfully smooth bokeh on any capture
medium.  I've had lenses that give me weak colors and poor gradation, and
some that show squirrely bokeh no matter what sensor or film is behind 'em.
They're gone.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com - Microsoft? Exchange solutions from a leading provider -

Replies: Reply from gpinkcp at msn.com (Gary Pinkerton) ([Leica] Re: M8 - collectible status)