Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 - collectible status
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell)
Date: Fri Aug 31 07:55:43 2007

> > In the back of my mind I often wonder if leica lens characteristics
> > that had
> > a certain signature when film was used is also visible when an
> > image is
> > recorded in digital.

I would like to politely suggest that this is either a question without any
possible answer or, alternatively, a question with so many answers that it
isn't worth worrying about.  Why?  Because when you consider in immense
influence of all the factors in the final film product, there is no single
"signature" for any lens.  A partial list of significant influences include
film grain, how it was exposed, how and in what it was developed, how and on
what it was printed - just a short starter list.  "Film" isn't a point, it's
a huge three-dimensional spectrum.  One of the things I'm enjoying
experimenting with - I have only very recently started dipping my toe into
the digital waters - is exploring the digital equivalent of all the
techniques and tricks we learned long ago in the wet darkroom.  Digital will
probably never replace the magic of watching an image literally develop on
paper in the tray, but it is a very viable means for creating and sharing
images.

With best regards,
John Newell