Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 - collectible status
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Aug 31 07:47:50 2007

All I can say is that when I look at images made with my 100mm Apo
Macro Elmarit (the best lens I own), the lens signature is clear and
visible, whether the image is on film, or on my Canon or Olympus
DSLRs. Judging from the images people post with their M8s and various
characteristic lenses, like the Noctilux, it seems that those lenses
also retain their character, even when the image is captured with a
sensor instead of film.

Nathan

On 31-aug-2007, at 11:37, D Khong wrote:

> In the back of my mind I often wonder if leica lens characteristics
> that had
> a certain signature when film was used is also visible when an
> image is
> recorded in digital. We used to have colourful discussions about
> "bokeh" of
> various optics for example when we were not too distracted by
> Tilley hats
> and single malt whiskeys. Sharpness, contrast and shadow details
> were other
> attributes that we often talk about when we discussed new lenses. I
> get the
> impression that it's now the megapixels that counts or for many
> folks the
> only issue that matters.

Nathan Wajsman
nathan@nathanfoto.com