Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 - collectible status
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Aug 30 15:48:35 2007

Dan,
Electronics have a very long life once they pass through their "burn in"
period.  This is of course subject to normal high risk activities for
electronics like going swimming or the usual high G maneuvers.  The only
other area of concern would be the new shutter which is probably in the
100,000 to 200,000 frame MTBF rating based on similar shutters in Nikons and
Canons.  Of course with a digital camera you can usually check the number of
frames taken so you have some idea of usage.

I think the biggest area to be concerned about is battery availability.
Most Li ion batteries are rated at something like 1000 charge cycles before
they begin to or fail.  So in heavy use you should expect to replace your
batteries every three or four years.  But that is the trick, can you buy
replacements in three or four years when the manufacturer has moved on to
another design?  So, for all of us who use an M8, I would suggest acquiring
a couple of batteries every year or so; run them through a couple of charge
cycles to verify that they are good ones; then put them away well labeled.
As the first batteries begin to no hold a charge you recycle them and go to
the next set.

This should not be a huge concern as the mercury batteries that ran our
1970's Leicaflexes ran out of NOS only about a year ago.