Subject: [Leica] Why the sumarit-M lens?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Aug 30 04:54:07 2007

Bernardo,
Yes and no as to competing with itself.  Zeiss and Cosina make some very
nice lenses that lure M shooters away from Leica  purchases.  As well, there
are untold thousands of used Summicrons out there many times in very nice
condition.  By offering an inexpensive new alternative Leica will end up
with more profit overall with increased sales of a different product mix.

Part of the change I believe is that making six element spherical lenses
will be much cheaper than 7-8 element aspherical lenses.