Subject: [Leica] Flash with M8
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Aug 29 20:12:01 2007

Doug,
You can use the 285 but will find that yours may or may not be accurate
enough for digital.  If possible underexpose the flash by 1/2 to 1 stop and
all will be very well indeed.  I use a Metz with the R8 adapter frequently
in aperture priority with good results, usually underexposing the flash by
1/2 stop to work as a fill flash.  The trick is to use the histogram before
you are shooting for money to fine tune your flash and your camera to keep
from blowing the highlights.  Just bear in mind that underexposing your M8
by 2 stops is not a problem to recover from using LR.  So, in effect, I can
get some pretty wonderful results at an effective ISO of 4000 or so using
the flash to flatten the image enough to not lose much detail in the
shadows.