Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Aug 27 12:17:10 2007

> My M8 and DMR are definitely ready for my Prime Time. Yet, I always
> take back-up cameras (including film), meters, and lights on the job.
> Why? because in 45 years of photography I've experienced view camera
> shutter, Hasselblad, Nikon F, strobe, and light meter failure. The
> only cameras that I've owned which never failed: M2, M3 and two M6's.
> Yet, I've read on this list that others have experienced failure of
> those models as well.
>
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser
> george@imagist.com
>

> On Aug 27, 2007, at 11:51 AM, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:
>
>> I had amost made up my mind to buy an M8. Now I am really spooked.
>> How many new M8s work perfectly out of the box? What's with sending
>> these new cameras back to Solms or New Jersey? Thirty minutes
>> uptime on a new camera is unacceptable. Especially with the
>> "jumping through hoops" process of getting a failed camera repaired.
>>
>> Based on the complaints posted in the LUG, the M8 is not ready for
>> prime time. Tell me it's just the squeeky wheel syndrome.

Since the M8 came out its had problems which people have worked successfully
around.

At this point I've got my Leica m system for when I use 35mm film which is
not that often so far but that's going to change..

But have been shooting Nikon digital DSLRs. Talking too much about them on
the LUG I know.

I have a D200 and a D40 and one will back up the other. Which is first
string I don't know.  MY D100 I don't want to look at I'm pretending it
don't have it. May have it converted to IR.

Rarely am I going to shoot anything which has to come out paid or otherwise
without a backup.
Cameras "lock up". They stop working.
You put in a battery and the battery has never been charged. Or will no
longer you find out take a charge. So you have the other camera with a
battery in it which works. In this case a different battery.

So I cant just take the battery out of the backup camera and put it into my
so called main camera.

A good and bad thing both maybe.

A camera makes a very large battery holder.
There are better battery holders on the market I'm sure.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re: M8 problems)