Subject: [Leica] Off topic computer stuff sorry; Stacking
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Aug 27 12:05:58 2007

I have HUBS now.
Got a case of the HUBS.
No longer Hubless. They're hooked up and seem to not screw anything up.
A Firewire hub and also a USB hub.
Both made by the same company. Belkin. But bought months apart in different
neighborhoods.
So now I can  hook up my laptop to any number of gizmos.
And get a nice working situation going here in my small apartment in NY.
In Portland I had a mainframe G4 and a network with all kinds of things
hooked up like you'd never believe.

Now I can hook up my 3800 inkjet which I finally have out of the box.
My scanners and so on. Things they've not invented yet. Like the "laser"
beam.
I hooked up my Lacie DVD burner as the burner in my laptop, a PowerBook G4
12" seems to have burnt itself out.
I'll be doing all kinds of backing up to DVD's of images and making CD's for
people, audio. Maybe video. I brought my digital video camera back from
Portland last month. I'm ready for Cannes.

So the reason I'm here writing this is I just hooked up a hard disk I'd long
ago got for backing up and have it as a third hard drive appearing on my
computer desk top as well as my real world desk desk top which is really
crowded.
This makes it so my image files are all alone on a disk not sharing disk
space with the riff raff. I can deal with this disk specifically for this
use. I feel like I'm being smart about that. Lots of breathing room.

So I just placed my Lacie D2 hard disk on its side now with its blue light
on the left right on top of the Lacie burner which has its blue light on the
left and is the exact same width and color.

So here's the question.
Is this a smart or dumb thing to do?

Will the burner as I am gleefully burning away give off harmful radiation
(heat?) to make my hard drive go haywire? ...erasing bits of info here and
there helter skelter? Driving me %^&*%*& nuts!?!?

If so I'll take the thing off the burner.
Or put the ugly foot thing on and have it be vertical.
Stick it next to it. Or on top maybe.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com