Subject: [Leica] Re: Viruses on a Mac
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Aug 24 12:35:08 2007

On Aug 24, 2007, at 1:47 PM, Brian wrote:

> If you run Windows on your Mac, your exposure to viruses is
> identical to what
> you'd have if you were running Windows on a PC.
>
> Viruses on Macs are not impossible. The reasons why there have been
> so few of
> them are not absolute, and could change.

Just a minor quibble. If you run Windows on an Intel Mac in Boot
Camp, you are, in effect turning the Mac into a PC and it is subject
to all PC viruses. On the other hand, if you run Windows on a
Parallels equipped Mac, you are running it in an emulated virtual PC
that connects to the internet through the Mac drivers and firewall.
It is a bit slower but much more virus resistant.

When our university bought a flock of Intel iMacs for our computer
lab, we ran some of them on Windows using Boot Camp. Within 24 hours
every one was infected with viruses or spyware. Rebooting onto the
Mac mode showed that the infection was localized to the Windows
volume on the HD. As a precaution, we switched to Parallels and had
little trouble with viruses, even running Windows.

The last time my Mac was infected with a serious virus was when I was
running OS 8 at the Univ. of Wales. Some of our computer science
students like to show how clever they were. There are some pernicious
Unix viruses around. Recompiling them for the Mac OS shouldn't be too
hard. Be careful out there!

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Re: Viruses on a Mac)