Subject: [Leica] Re: Pan F - Pyro First shot (Mark Rabiner)
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Thu Aug 23 12:01:58 2007

Mark Rabiner wrote (regarding a landscape that I posted):

> If I was going to be real hard core about it and shoot Pan F and
> soup it in
> Pyro and risk poisoning myself I think I might use a cutting edge
> Leica lens
> not a Voigtl?nder badged Cosina a few notches down the food chain
> line. On a
> Leica body with a Gitzo carbon tripod. And a cable release.
>
> Nice shot though I wonder if the whites have gone too white?
>
> Why use heavy duty technique on comparatively lightweight equipment?

Mark -

A very good question; I'll do my best to provide some kindof answer.

I'm sure many would say "Why not the Hassy (or the 4x5; heck, even if
someone used an 8x10 Jim Hemenway (I think) would say something about
an 11x14).

I have a peculiar fondness for pointing the pea shooters at the big
game.  One reason is that I feel like I have a better chance of
actually having one with me, and enough of a lens assortment so I
don't hafta hike to another location( by which time the light has
changed, etc...) nor do I need to do any cropping.  Also, you really
need to get a lot of things pretty close to optimum with these
unforgiving small formats.

Ironically enough, the snap I posted is just about the worst of the 5
I shot by technical yardsticks.  But, like a lot of your snaps that I
really like, it's the one that really has the vibe.

Regarding the 21 CV, I don't own (nor have I used) the modern Leica
2.8.  But the Voigt has really proven itself to me consistently (one
of the reasons I've looked no farther in the 21 department) and I
wouldn't be surprised if the two lenses were on pretty equal ground
around f8.  (Henning may have done an actual comparison a while back).

And we're fixing the white whites in the silver print...

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: Pan F - Pyro First shot (Mark Rabiner))