Subject: [Leica] OT Epson P5000
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Aug 22 22:15:04 2007

> Mark,
> I agree with you. There is a Digital Black & White Print Exchange where I
> have been taking part for a few years. I have seldom received  anything but
> Epson prints - an occasional HP, but never Canon for some reason. I have
> seen many papers, and many inksets, but all for Epson. The advantage with
> Epson is there are so many third party solutions, especially for dedicated
> Black & White inksets (MIS,Cone,Lyson,etc), and new papers are designed and
> profiled around the Epson printers. Unless HP and Canon can get this sort
> of
> third party support, they will always struggle to catch up.
> Cheers
> Jayanand

I was just telling Hoppy Offlist about those Digital Black & White list
people you have to graduate head of your class at MIT to get in and I have
trouble focusing on what the heck is being talked about. And their software
with all the bandwidth crashes my  PowerBook G4 12" L2 Cache (per CPU): 512
KB Memory: 1.25 GB Bus Speed: 167 MHz which is the center of my universe and
Which goes into apple in SoHo tomorrow for a new keyboard they may have to
scrape me off the walls if they keep it over night.

Maybe I can upgrade something and try again with those Digital Black & White
guys now that I'm more settled in with my new life here and know what my
name is. I can remind myself if I print up some business cards.
I got my Epson 3800 out of the box three days ago but have to put the carts
in.

I really don't know how people print digitally nowadays I've lost track and
not around a peer group in the real world or on the internet to lead me not
astray. I still control it with the printer. I may be the last one on earth
doing this I don't know - the default is the opposite.
I got a feeling most people unlike the way I've always done it are using
Photoshop not the printer to control the whole thing as Brian tells me and
how it all works I don't know. Brian said (in Santa Fe) it was with a
control layer) I don't even use those much. And I've been using Photoshop
since the year it came out. 1985 I think. Took up half my hard disk and I
had to restart my computer with all extensions off just to open it.
I'd apply a filter (on my Macintosh SE)
Go make coffee.
Drink a cup.
Pour another one
And bring it back into my office just as the filter finished working.
Then I'd hit it again and go into the kitchen and drink another cup. Read
the newspaper.
Hard to believe I used to drink coffee at 3 Am I wonder if that kept me
awake all night.
Right now I'm drinking Sleepy Time tea with milk and sugar. And hope to get
some sleep I have stuff to do tomorrow.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com