Subject: [Leica] philosophy of street photography
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Aug 19 13:58:48 2007

The interaction issue.
An ongoing controversy clarified for me at last after countless on list
threads over a decade by people who were there and knew the people or who
WERE the people.

We've always apparently thought that HCB, Doisneau, Smith, DDD, Magnum, LIFE
photographers were ciphers blending into the woodwork it turns out half the
time very much the opposite they were hired to bring back a shot and  bring
back a shot they would  even if it meant hiring models to shoot with the
strobe kit they had in a leather case on their belt they brought to all
jobs. That's the available light issue thread which runs parallel.

So interact they would and I don't feel bad about it when I do it.
I'll tell the guy to look off into the Hudson river direction again like he
was just doing I don't get a twinge. I don't need a shot of them looking
nervously into the camera wondering what I'm doing.?
What is reality anyway?
Its not NOT telling the guy to go back to do what he was doing.
Or take that one more time please.
>From the top.

I'd think the LIFE ethic might differ from the MAGNUM I'm not up on all that
and you'd not be able to group all those people I mention above always into
the same group at all times.
Take it from the top one more time please.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com