Subject: [Leica] IMG: Muir Lake Comparison
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Aug 16 21:11:55 2007

That said I always wonder what we can really see on an image
800 pixels by 536.

We all act like we can see all we need to know to just go BUY THE LENS.
Which cost thousands in the case of the 21 ASPH and I'm not sure if this is
the ASPH or not but I don't think I could see the difference and the ASPH is
a stupendous lens and the non ASPH is a something the Leica (or Leitz)
people would rather change the subject on. An early not very successful
attempt at a retrofocal lens made by people much more attuned to symmetrical
real wide angle designs made by other people namely Zeiss or Schneider.
Hologon or Super Angulon. To change the company and subject. Twice.

At 300 dpi 800 pixels by 536 is an image 2.6 inches by 1.8 inches.
45 x 67mms.

Not really big enough even with a good loupe to tell anything.
Seeing them at 72 full screen is like seeing them with a perfect loupe it
seems to me.

I just downloaded last night full sized files taken with the new ZF Zeiss
lenses made by Cosina for the Nikon mount which were 3000 pixies across I
guess you could call that full size. Big enough to get me really interested
in the optics. On lens barrels which look like they were made by Soligar.
Which was a 35mm f2 and a 50mm f2. They downloaded quickly enough I have
road runner. But then you open them and when you bring them to full 1:1
magnification it is really startling and revealing what you see. Eyelash of
Newt. Its how I first see most my images I take anyway. So I can make that
real world comparison. I cant find the URL now though.

What I can say about the Tina's nice image here is what Bonny said.
"Nice reflections and depth"

I'm not going to say "I'm going to trade in my Canons for Leicas" or visa
versa. Too many words I think. Might hurt somebody's feelings.

But a great shot.

Twenty questions about Zeiss ZF/ZS  by Rob Galbraith
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7890-8183

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0610/06100103zeissnikonfmount.asp

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY