Subject: [Leica] Summarit press release
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Aug 8 18:20:49 2007

> Mark, Erwin says that the new "Summarits" are Summicron designs downsized.
> Smaller maximum aperture means much much easier to reduce
> aberrations. (read cheaper to make as well). I agree that they should be
> viable choices for other reasons than cost, as well.
>
> The current Summilux 50 asph is only related by name to the earlier
> version.
> Lux = fast.
> It sounds like the new Summarits are similarly only sharing a label with
> the
> early 1.5 50.
> Part of the raison d'?tre of the exotic and expensive technology (in the
> asph
> designs) is how well it works wide open or nearly so.
> No harder to focus at f2 or f5.6 than any other lens. I agree that you
> might
> not use it wide open much of the time. Nice to have all
> the same. For some folks it is worth it, for others an unwarranted expense.
> Mine works better than my former Summicron in difficult
> against the light situations. Specifically it gives superb clarity of
> colour
> and tone within the shadows (no veiling glare, ever).
> I regarded the current Summicron 50 as superbly accurate and sharp. I only
> occasionally ran into unpredictable flare. I've had 8 or
> 10 of the Nikkor 50's over the years. They were sharp, maybe a little cool
> in
> colour rendition. I think that they are ridiculously
> cheap second hand and superb value. The current AF Thai production seems
> just
> as sharp. It does not even remotely resemble the older
> manual focus lens in build. I don't recall anguish about flare. Maybe
> having
> the best Leica glass makes you push them more (and
> appreciate the tools quality).
>
> Cheers
> Hoppy

Reading Erwin's thing he came out with yesterday makes me think more and
more now that I've slept on it and with the tornado and flooding and all
that Mr. Lee has an idea of getting Leica to reclaim much of the revenue it
looses constantly out to to people getting old stuff instead of new stuff.
This will get people getting new stuff and with an 2.5 f stop engraved in
60s typeface designed by Austen Powers smarter brother..

The new Summilux ASPH has an complex internal focusing mechanism which comes
into play for close focusing and who knows what else but two Luggers have
gotten copies which they could barely turn with a monkey wrench and I felt
one and it was darned stiff.
I'd want to be using rubber gloves when I used one. With titanium inserts.
They're great for twisting things.
I wear them on the subway no one messes with me.
Either my yellow ones or my pink ones.
Who needs Karate? Or a guv?

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY