Subject: [Leica] Summarit press release
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Aug 8 16:26:29 2007

> Photodo

I don't know doo doo about photo doo but the first thing I found it was
Dante Stella and it was this:

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/photodo.html

Photodo.com comes up with some interesting results. Take, for example, a
look at the 50/1.8 AF Nikkor ($100, rated 4.4 by Photodo) and the 50/2
Summicron-M ($900, 4.6). If you just looked at the weighted numbers, you
would guess that the Leica is only 4% better, while costing 800% more. But
if you look at the wider apertures, you will notice that the Summicron blows
away the Nikkor. But due to the ways that Photodo weights the results, the
Nikkor comes out much better off. Photodo bases its lp/mm testing on the
following assumption:

So go figure I cant figure it out.

I do know the Summicron was made before Leica had gone gung ho on the wide
open results are king approach. And that was with the high tech glasses and
aspherics and such. Which was very recently. As in when I came on board the
Leica boat in 1993.

What wide open results we get from our rubberized low tech Summarits I don't
know.
But shooting with a 2.5 lens is not to me all about shooting 2.5.
Its about shooting 5.6 half the time too.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com