Subject: [Leica] Summarit press release
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Aug 8 01:18:39 2007

Yes but!

Firstly disregard the Contax badged Kyocera products (and I have and have
had a stack of G's and T's and N's).

The ZM mount Zeiss Ikon lenses made by Cosina are not plastic mounts or in
any way cheaply put together. They are Zeiss designs
using conventional glass types rather than perhaps bleeding edge minimalist
exotic formulations and by all reports work extremely
well. Erwin Puts have written cogently on these. These designs are distinct
from the CV Voigtlander badged Cosina (and more
expensive). The two exceptions in the range are a 2.8 15mm and 2 85mm which
suffered delays when the German production failed to
come up to standard. Last time I looked it costs MORE than the 90AA. People
like Tom A speak very highly of the Cosina made ZM's.
The couple that I have handled were extremely well put together.

I agree with you that "made in Germany" means a lot to Leica and Zeiss
enthusiasts. Kudos to Leica for the new Summarits to come
from Solms as well. I don't know what the German is for "street cred",
Stra?e Glaubw?rdigkeit??!!! ;-)

Cheers
Hoppy