Subject: [Leica] re: XTOL rant
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Thu Jul 26 09:23:04 2007

Hello Richard,

Rodinal is a wonderful developer and only one of two I use. The other
is X-Tol.

Rodinal makes no attempt to hide grain. It actually gives grain sharp
edges and increases the contrast of the negative. X-Tol seems to
increase contrast as well while minimizing grain. I seldom shoot film
higher then ISO 200 so grain is not much of a concern to me. That
said I tend to use X-TOL for all of my 35mm film with the exception
of the older, slower films like the Adox (Efke) derivatives. I use
Rodinal for 120 films such as T-Max 100, Fuji Acros 100 and Plus-X.
The negatives look wonderful.  I use X-Tol for most of my 35mm to
give me the finest grain.

The other advantage to using Rodinal is the convenience of having a
super long lasting concentrate always handy without the worry of an
expired, powder developer when I haven't developed film in awhile. It
works just fine with any film I've ever used, even the Ilfords you
mentioned although I now prefer the Fuji films to just about anything.

Len