Subject: [Leica] was: XTOL rant now Rodinal rant
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Fri Jul 27 05:49:41 2007

Marty,

Thanks for your very detailed explanation of the chemistry and
characteristics of X-Tol and Rodinal.

On Jul 27, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Marty Deveney wrote:

> Rodinal is an AGFA proprietary name for a highly concentrated
> developer that uses para-aminophenol (p-aminophenol) as its primary
> developing agent and potassium hydroxide as its activator
> (alkali).  The formula is unpublished but can be replicated
> relatively easily.  Fomadon R09 is similar; Photographer&#8217;s
> Formulary makes a version, Fotoimpex has Adolux APH09 and Calbe R09
> is another.  There are others and you can mix your own.  I
> haven&#8217;t followed the 'what has happened to Rodinal since AGFA
> collapsed' story &#8211; maybe someone else can fill this in for us.

This is what happened to Rodinal.

This is an excerpt from the page of the company that now makes it.

In November 2005, a&o imaging solutions GmbH took over the AgfaPhoto
GmbH chemical production facilities. That has ensured that the entire
range of chemicals needed for the development of colour and
black&white films as well as all photographic paper for minilabs,
professional and WSF machines will continue to be available in the
complete range and quality that you are used to.

All products will continue to be produced by a&o imaging solutions
according to the original formulation used by AgfaPhoto GmbH. All
these chemicals will continue to carry the Agfa-Rhombus. It is the
sign of our commitment to the high-quality standards that were set by
Agfa, quality standards that are recognised the world over.

And we will not stop there. The continual improvement and
optimisation of all products is guaranteed by our team of experts. It
is your guarantee that you will always acquire photo chemicals that
meet the newest demands.

Rodinal is available in the United States from Freestyle  <http://
www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php?cat_id=301>

The Rodinal being sold now appears to be identical to the original
Agfa product including the packaging.

I know there is also a distributor in the UK and I assume in other
European countries as well. a&o imaging solutions is a German company.

Len