Subject: [Leica] Eyepiece magnifier
From: alex at zabrovsky.com (Alex)
Date: Mon Jul 23 08:04:21 2007

I acquired both x1.25 and x0.85 HK magnifiers for my M6 to handle 90mm
and 28mm frames. The x1.25 one helps immensily fora  eyeglasses wearer
like me to acomodate 90mm frame for better and easier focusing. The unit
is solid and appear to be well made, albeit the few minor issues with
one as I can see (at least when coupled to my M6): the threading on
either the magnifier or the camera eyepiece is very short - takes about
1/3 revolution only to attach one firmly. At the beginning it didn't
feel comfidently, but after quite intensive usage proved to be indeed
firm and snug without any wobbling.
The magnifier's eyepiece is metal-made with hard edges - might be an
issue for eyeglasses scratching easily the glasses. Some kind of
rubber-made outer ring would held, but it comes without such (unlike
Leica's own maginfier, as far as I understand). Without eyeglasses,
doesn't present a problem, works fine in this respect.
Leica magnifiers comes with a facility to get strapped to the strap lug
to it cannot be lost, this is indeed somethign I wish HK would offer for
their maginfiers...

But certainly, I can't imagine Leica's magnifiers to worth nearly four
times as much as HK's one...perhaps 20-40% I would tolerate, but
certainly not 200-250%...

Alex