Subject: [Leica] M8 notes during use. Now -- RAW or JPEG? ;-)
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Sun Jun 17 13:18:51 2007

Sorry for the late response to this thread. I've been out of e-mail
contact for a few days.

Allow me to advocate never taking a compact flash card out of a
camera unless it is defective.

My approach with compact flash (not SD) is to buy the absolute
biggest card I can afford - say 8MB - and use the USB cord
exclusively. With the 20D the connection is USB 2.0 High Speed, which
is very, very fast. I have never lost an image to a defective card.
It is my belief that the tiny holes in CF cards are easily blocked or
clogged by relatively small amounts of dust or grime. Not true of SD
cards, of course.

I am using Macs exclusively, and therefore have an easier time of
things in general. Lightroom (yay Adobe! - and, Apple for Aperture,
too) has made my work flow 10 times easier than when I was using
Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop. My images are imported directly into
Lightroom, then the flow resembles Nathan's. Cull, tweak (usually a
given shoot with the same camera takes most of the same adjustments,
so I create a preset and apply to every image from the same part of
an assignment), and export/print/whatever. The organizational tools
in Lightroom are good, if not perfect. Good to hear you're getting up
to speed on it Ted!

There are times and cameras (Olympus E-500, for example) where jpeg
is good enough, but when it really matters on an assignment, and it
usually does, raw is the way to go. It can bail your butt out on
occasion.

Photoshop is still invaluable for images that need extra work or are
otherwise problematic, of course.

I hope that Mike Ninness or another good presenter holds a Lightroom
session or two at next year's MacWorld Conference...

Will von Dauster