Subject: [Leica] for those about to sell their DMR
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Sat Jun 16 10:57:11 2007

Eric - I'm not really taking notes. I'm simply watching the prices on
the used PhaseOne and V96C backs; and searching for information
regarding the backs that come up on the used market. In so doing I've
spent some time on the PhaseOne boards and they're discussing all
sorts of different quirks from moire problems to tethering problems
with various computer configurations and others too numerous to
mention. Most of these folks are studio/location/production oriented
- as are the camera/backs. The more I read, the more it seems that if
one moves to medium format digital, one best be prepared to pay new
prices for new technology. YMMV. And that includes (according to
some) learning curves and problems as in:

"Sorry to say , but there is nothing of the koind you are looking
for . The HASSELBLAD user manuals are not worth the money you pay
for . They describe all handling , but nothing , when you encounter a
problem . And HASSELBLAD's FAQ are nothing , absolutely nothing . I
have just bought a CFV back , not as sophisticated as your back ,
ok , but still a HASSELBLAD product . For the money you pay , you
have to go the hard way . Learning by doing . I am sorry , if this
disencourages you , but it is the bloody truth . I am one of the
guys , who suffers of going the digital way , and not getting any
good support from the responsible guys at HASSELBLAD . (from <http://
photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Jmb4>)

In trying to get a grip on optimum quality/price one also has to
consider <http://www.pictureline.com/products/14504/
Mamiya_ZD_Digital_Back_22_MegaPixel/>
which is also getting rave reviews and blowing Canon FF pro stuff away.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Message from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] for those about to sell their DMR)