Subject: [Leica] for those about to sell their DMR
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (John Biava)
Date: Tue Jun 12 11:22:43 2007

.If you are trying to make a living with your photography you have to use
what works.  It has to work everytime, anytime.  Trying to use something
that has not been fully developed can leave you in a very impoverished
state.  Customers want results, first time, every time.  They do not care
abvout your problems.  they only care about their problems.  And if your
lack of results becomes one of them, they solve the problem by going to
someone else.

  Right Ted ?

Eric Korenman <faneuil@gmail.com> wrote:
  For those thinking of selling your DMR:

For very well thought out reasons I sold my R8/DMR to go AF with a canon 5d.
I know some of you have papal-annointed focus fingers that can nail an
eyelash 50 paces away at f 1.4.

But I don't.

And I have a (big for me) fashion shoot coming up later this summer.
Yadda Yadda. A hip downtown NYC store. The children's line of clothes.
Kids running around for me a focus nightmare.

So.. The 5d with the 85 1.2 over the last 3 weeks has been a magical and
transformative experience for me.
Plus the 85 1.2 lens is nearly (dare I say it?) yes.. well.. Noctiluxian.
With AF to boot!

But here is my point. That 5d 12 bit sensor just doesn't match up to the
DMR's Imacon 16 bit chip.
I know there are reasons. 16 bit for one. No AA filter. Etc..
But it ain't the same folks. Shadow zones are good but not DMR-super.
Pulling details from the shadow feels like stretching out cheescloth. It
gets thin, noisy and weird.

Shoot me down, pull at my flesh, tear this email to shreds.
I know someone will.

Just a couple of pennies. (my thoughts, not the DMR).

Eric

PS. Anyone seen Hassie's CFV back yet? Onward and upward.