Subject: [Leica] Copy of ABLON template
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Jun 7 13:27:18 2007

We seem to have this discussion on the LUG about
every six months.  Allow me to summarize:

a)      A few folks never trim and never seem to
have problems.  Leitz and Leica have always
recommended trimming out of concern for film
chips which might clog up the film-transport
mechanism.  Note the decal on the inner surface
of IIIc and later LTM bodies to this
effect.  Several years ago, Tom Abrahamson posted
that he had never seen such a jam in all of his
many years of working on LTM and M bodies.  (It
is important to remember that Tom was the
principal technical adviser to Oscar Barnack back
in the 1920's, at the same time when Ted Grant
was doing his best to convince Ernst Leitz II to
put the LEICA camera into production.  We owe
them both a huge debt of gratitude.  <he grins maliciously>

b)      Leitz/Leica recommend the use of the
ABLON template.  Zeiss Ikon marketed a similar
template, and there are a number of Japanese and
British copies available.  These are readily
available and do not generally demand a high
purchase price unless bougth at a Tamarkin
auction.  I have one somewhere.  The downside to
this is that it takes some time to use, has to be
done in advance, and requires a box cutter or the
like.  The upside is that this is the most
precise method of trimming the film and was the factory-recommended method.

c)      There is the credit-card method.  This
requires removal of the lens and is consequently
the slowest of the methods and the most
cumbersome.  Some folks do like it but Leitz
recommended against this in the 1970's when it
was first proposed, as providing a possibility of
film chips jamming the works, but see a), supra,
for Tom's knowledgeable remarks.  In this method,
the lens is removed, the shutter is set to either
T or Z, depending on the model, the base is
removed, and a thin bit of celluloid is inserted
from the bottom into the film gate.  The film is
then inserted and worked into position.  A fair
number of folks love this method.  I have never
managed to do this in less than a minute, what
with removing the lens and base and then
returning them to battery.  (Note that the
lamented Phillip Marlowe always used the
celluloid cover over his California driver's
license to force locks when he was
out-and-about;  at least the advocates of this
system are not breaking any laws albeit they are
being very disrespectful of the wishes of Oscar Barnack.)

d)      Then there are the clippers.  Take the
new roll of film, pull some out of the cassette,
eyeball it, and use scissors to cut off the
requisite amount and load.  This is the most
rapid of the systems and is one which even Jo-Jo
the Brainless Village Idiot can learn on three
repetitions, especially with the aid of that
tell-all Leitz decal on the bottom plate.  (Mark
Rabiner's thumbnail method is a variant of this, of course.)

Me?  I have used all four of these but I opted,
back in the longago, for d).  I always have a
Swiss Army Knife with me, as I have had since I
was fourteen, and just clip the film.  The first
time I did this, it took me fifteen or twenty
seconds but now takes me five seconds or so to
clip.  Open the base, clip the film, pull the
take-up spool, insert the film into the take-up
spool, insert the two, and close the base.  It
takes fifteen or twenty seconds and Bob's your
uncle.  If Grandma Leitz had not meant for it to
be done this way, we would not have that mystic
decal in our cameras.  Surely those gnomes of
Wetzlar must have known SOMETHING, or we'd not be using these cameras.

I am always surprised at the heat and length of
discussion this topic takes, every time it
arises.  Find the method which works for you, and
use it.  But the missionary zeal the topic
engenders is a bit frightening.  There is no
"right" method.  There is the method recommended
by the factory, the ABLON, and the other methods,
and the one which works for you is the method
appropriate for you, but, perhaps, not a method another would want to use.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from jmaddox01 at suddenlink.net (jack) ([Leica] Copy of ABLON template)