Subject: [Leica] Image storage
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Jun 5 05:09:35 2007

Tina is absolutely right mentioning that negs and slides still require care.
However, let's check that list against a digital archive (hard drives and
DVDS):
mildew, hmm prolonged exposure to moisture won't worry hard drives or DVDs,
MUCH
insects, OK only software bugs might be a problem
heat see mildew
fading no gradual fade, just all there or not at all
floods?
fires?
Tornados?
earthquakes?

My vote for keeping your analog originals and scanned archive on HDDs. Hard
to fault Brian's methods there. Now if someone would
visit and actually ORGANISE my backlog, I might end up with a useful
archive. As a practical matter here, my old stuff was very
casually stored in a warm and humid climate. Away from light at least. I
have a few 30 yr old prints that are fine (especially
Cibachromes), BW negs that some are decent and some deteriorated
(reticulation), slides with some fading, some much better. I wish I
had a scanner then as well.

Cheers
Hoppy