Subject: [Leica] Compact Camera Conundrum
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Mon Jun 4 17:16:39 2007

Dave,

If you want something to _always_ have with you, take a look at the Canon
SD1000 - I just bought one for that purpose.  You can set most everything to
manual, though I haven't found a way to turn off sharpening.

> Needs.....
> Decent low light performance

        ISO to 1600, though I would stop at 400

> Widest possible effective focal length (min 35mm)

        35mm

> Is quiet and unobtrusive

        Almost invisible

> Has minimum shutter lag

        Yes

> Has manual capability (at least aperture priority)

        That is done through exposure compensation

> Has decent battery life

        Yes
> Is simple and reliable.

        Yes so far
> Can live with jpeg only if it's decent jpeg.

        Makes a 20mb jpeg file when opened, very sharp lens

> Not too big or too small. Anything that's smaller than a Contax T2/Canon
> G2 but bigger than a deck of cards is OK.

        Smaller than a deck of cards

> Don't needs....
> Image stabilization

        None
> Digital zoom (or optical zoom for that matter if lens is between 28mm
> and 35mm)

        Digital zoom is available but by default it stops at optical zoom

> Macro capability

        Yes

> Wishes...
> Usable optical viewfinder

        Yes but not parallax corrected

> Inexpensive (I'm still saving for an M8).

        Yes, $200 at B&H + $25 for a 2gb SD card.