Subject: [Leica] IMG:Friday Flower-Begonia
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jun 1 15:41:00 2007

Jim, I just opened your pic in PS and had a look at the levels etc. In fact
the blacks are clipped except for in the red and the
highlights are fine. As you have shown it is exactly how it should be for
that picture, in my opinion. The very dark to black
background is what showcases the flower's colour for me.
I was referring to the intensity (saturation) of the flower's colour rather
than the brightness. As we all know it is impossible to
control the range of adjustments and viewing conditions that other folks
have on their monitors. All you can do is manipulate the
picture's tonal range so that it works for you and use/convert to the right
colour space, which your picture is.

For comparison, my Dell widescreen is set to zero percent brightness as part
of the calibration and it is still about twenty percent
too high for the luminance to be ideal for an LCD. If you are interested in
pursuing that calibration, the XRITE Eye Ones are ideal,
in my opinion. The cheaper Spyders are also good. I have both now and the
Eye one does the best job.

Without calibration, I would be turning your monitor brightness DOWN, not up.

Cheers
Hoppy