Subject: [Leica] For Sale Books, Filters and misc
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (John Biava)
Date: Thu May 31 14:23:40 2007

Starting sometime during or shortly after WWII, E. Leitz NY subcontracted
Tiffen to make filters for them to sell under their ( E. Leitz NY )
trademark.  Naturally they were sold at a premium.  But Tiffen filters of
that era ( and some special ones later ), were gellatin filters sandwiched
between two very thin glass plates.

  The organic dyes used can be made very accurately but they also fade over
time.  You can see this easily with some of the filters made to balance
light for daylight and tungsten color films.  Most of these are faded badly
by now.  I have seen some photo swapmeet dealers tell the unsuspecting that
these old filters are "graduated" filters predating the Cokins !

  Perhaps Marc can add something to this discussion.

Ernest Nitka <enitka1@comcast.net> wrote:
  John - I don't know how to tell the difference as i don't think I've seen
gelatin sandwich type of filters.

  ernie