Subject: [Leica] Improved M8?
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com)
Date: Tue May 29 07:41:04 2007

Chris,

Almost every m8 being shipped now has the firmware 1.102 in it.  This has
fixed just about all the complaints, except the AWB problem.  You should be
shooting DNG for max image quality, and if so it is a non issue, just tweek
it if needed.  My experience is it is almost dead on 90+% of the time
anyway.  The UV/IR filters are being shipped, with a few exceptions, which
have not yet made it out of production cycle.  Even then you can get the
heliopan or other brands redily f rom photo suppliers.  The filter thing is
no different than using a UV filter, end of comment, just use them if you
shoot color, if you only shoot B&W, then forget the filter issue all
together.  Yes there are some other issues which still plague the camera,
but they are just teething problems which all new cameras have.  Mine has
been flawless, bought in mid February.  My greatest problem with the m8 has
been getting used to the metering patten, which is quite different from my
m6ttl and Leica r cameras, but i h
ave just about got this licked.

I have far fewer problems with the m8 than i do with the Nikon D200 i have.
The biggest is it does not take Leica R lenses and there is no adapter.
Nyone know of a camera repair that can modify the D200 with a Leica R mount,
and does not cost a fortune?

Chris, my advice is to go to your Leica dealer and buy the m8 and start
enjoying it.  And do as i do, by using Ted's advice and KISS.

Gene

-------------- Original message from "Chris Birchenhall"
<chris@tarsier.freeserve.co.uk>: --------------