Subject: [Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 23 21:22:49 2007

Bob,

I agree with Jim that this is a failure of the camera body.  White  metal
(magnesium alloy?) is brittle and it does look like a brittle  failure.

The manner in which the baseplate fastens to the camera leads me to believe
that either there was an existing flaw in the casting or an impact on the
camera while the baseplate was affixed to the tripod.  Given the thinness
of the
casting in that area (porosity/voids would be obvious) and my trust in
Leica's quality control, I would guess the latter.

Either way, this should not happen and I would hope Leica would rectify the
situation.

Best Regards,

Ira Silverman
Irvine, CA