Subject: [Leica] IMG: A-10 Warthog up close
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 24 20:21:16 2007

Jim and Len,

Thirty years ago, I was working for an aerospace hydraulics firm, where I
was responsible for the manufacture of the A-10's wing flap actuators.
Shortly
after the plane was commissioned, one of the Fairchild Republic sales  reps
brought over a film of the Warthog during a test run.

In the Nevada desert, the air force had arrayed 7 Soviet T-72 tanks Israel
had captured during the Yom Kipper War.  After a strafing run of about 5
seconds, the tanks were reduced to burning hulks, and a few of the turrets
had  not
yet returned to earth. That's what a 30 mm Gatling Gun loaded with
alternating rounds of depleted uranium armor piercing and high explosive
shells  will
do.  That and a titanium armor bathtub around the pilot to allow him  to get
in
close.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Best Regards,