Subject: [Leica] Leica in movies
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon May 21 19:53:35 2007

SonC,
That's a fun link about Leicas as movie stars and having famous owners. I'll
send a note to that page owner.

I note that "... actor Brendan Fraser is a serious Leica fan. During a break
in filming while in Sydney in mid-2001, he bought
thousands of dollars of Leica M & R equipment from one Sydney dealer"

Clearly we need some sort of export restrictions here once Leicas get into
Aus.

The reference to "Impostor (2002)" cracks me up. Must have been a new and
improved M6 from the future -

"Japanese Story (2003) - Unwatchable Australian movie staring Toni Collette.
The Japanese man she has an affair with uses a chrome
M7 in a number of early scenes"

The camera came up a little while ago on eBay in Aus. with some sort of
authentication by people involved in the movie. I think that
the asking price was a LOT.

The reference to Robert Ruark's hunting safari books is almost correct.
The incident is first described in "Horn of the Hunter" (from 1957!) Ruark
says that his Leica, Ikoflex and Rollei were stolen on
his first African safari. "What makes me furious is my Leica. It had thirty
five very fine exposures of game in it....."  There are
photos of animals and safari scenes in the book credited to several white
hunter folks.
Apparently he had good taste in camera equipment.

Cheers
Hoppy