Subject: [Leica] selling a Leica DMR.. ?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed May 16 00:58:56 2007

How do you set the autofocus on your 1 series? I was out shooting Red
Kites with mine yesterday in the hills, I tried both one shot and AI
servo, all (auto select by camera) autofocus spots and center lock.
About 10% success focusing on the subject, the auto was particularly
shite when the hills were in the background, focused on countryside
not bird, whereas previously I have found the autofocus to always
focus on the nearest object in the autofocus area, as Canon specify
it should I believe, even when this is not the main subject. I was
particularly annoyed because this "feature" has autofocused on many
an undesired but close item in the field but failed to do so when the
closer item actually was the desired subject.
My hit rate went up when I went to manual focus.
Any help on this would be most appreciated, My EOS 1Ds -can- produce
superb results but IME it is in spite of the user interface, not
because of it. The Nikon D200 I have tried is about 10 million times
better as an ergonomic useable tool IMO.
Frank