Subject: [Leica] selling a Leica DMR.. ?
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sat May 12 15:00:28 2007

Eric:

>Shots need to be spot on focus, and I always find moving kids is always
>tough with manual focus.

Moving kids are tough with the 5D, too.

I've never used a Leica SLR.  Only the M series.  So I can't comment on how
hard it is to focus on moving objects.  Given Doug's bird shots with a DMR,
I'd start by picking his brain before moving systems.

Before the 5D, I used a 1v when I wanted an SLR.  The autofocus on that was
amazing.  Absolutely stellar.  The autofocus on the 5D is good.  Just not
stellar.  Then again, the full frame and relative lack of noise on the 5D
*is* amazing.  That part is stellar.  The autofocus is not bad.  Just not as
quick as I would like.  I'd be tempted by the 1DMK3 if I were wanting a new
digital camera with good quality and better AF performance.

My guess is that for a fashion shoot, the 5D would be more than enough.  If
the kids are far enough away, the autofocus keeps up fairly well.  Where I
have trouble with the 5D is when the kids are a couple feet away and moving.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] selling a Leica DMR.. ?)