Subject: [Leica] Lightroom Question: Web Gallery: Flash or HTML?
From: hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Date: Sun May 13 08:58:02 2007

Robert D. Baron writes:
 > [...]
 > I have it in mind there are some folks who are vehemently anti-flash web
 > sites but I don't know why....or if that feeling still holds true today.
 >
 > If several of you could give me your thoughts on whether and why I can
 > use or should not use the flash templates I'd be very appreciative.
 >
 > And please keep it simple for me (a/k/a stupid).

I'm not sure that I'm vehement about it, but I have a couple of
problems with flash:

  - I spend most of my computing time on FreeBSD systems, and there
    isn't a native flash implementation for it.  If I were willing to
    jump through the requisite hoops, I could get the linux version
    working, but I've never cared enough.  So, I generally can't look
    at all the pretty flash stuff.  Now, that could be my loss, or
    your's, depending on how you look at it.  And yes, I know, the
    fraction of people out there running FreeBSD desktops is, errr,
    small....

    It's still possible though that someone important out there might
    not be able to see your stuff.

    I know of companies who's front page is entirely in flash, I can't
    even find their customer support phone number (e.g. Yakima, the
    car rack folks).

  - security/privacy.  Flash cookies provide all of the same
    user-tracking capabilities of browser cookies, with *none* of the
    browser controls for disabling them.  e.g.

      http://www.epic.org/privacy/cookies/flash.html

    I know folks who disable flash because of issues like this.

  - open standards.  This one's a bit weak, but I prefer
    non-proprietary multi-vendor tools.  I'm among the first to admit
    that there really isn't anything that competes with flash though.

g.

Replies: Reply from rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron) ([Leica] Lightroom Question: Web Gallery: Flash or HTML?)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Lightroom Question: Web Gallery: Flash or HTML?)