Subject: [Leica] Lightroom Question: Web Gallery: Flash or HTML?
From: hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Date: Sun May 13 17:48:52 2007

Robert D. Baron writes:
 > George Hartzell writes in pertinent part:
 >
 > > I'm not sure that I'm vehement about it, but I have a couple of
 > > problems with flash:
 >
 > <snip>
 >
 > > It's still possible though that someone important out there might
 > >     not be able to see your stuff.
 >
 > Do you mean if someone does not have a Flash program installed on their
 > computer they will not be able to see my photographs at all?
 >
 > I am thinking for example of my 84 year old aunt in Texas who uses aol
 > to exchange family news and pass jokes around with friends and relatives
 > all over the world.
 >
 > I find it hard to understand why Adobe Lightroom would offer me the
 > opportunity to create a gallery of my photos and put it up on the web in
 > a format (if that is the right word) such that people like my aunt (or
 > you, working in FreeBSD) could not access to see the photos.
 >
 > But, as noted, there are a lot of things about computing I don't
 > understand, which is why I asked this question (and a lot of others) and
 > I appreciate your response, which is helpful.
 >
 > [...]

Yes, if someone doesn't have the various bits and pieces installed and
enabled that are required to display flash content then they won't see
anything.

I don't know whether or how well AOL supports flash, so I can't
address your aunt.

"Most", for some very large value of most, computers have flash
installed and enabled, so using it to deliver content isn't crazy.  On
the other hand, "most", for roughly the same size most, people use
Internet Explorer on Windows, but reasonable people still think that
it's important to build web pages that work across multiple browsers
and operating systems.

As to why Adobe LR offers you the opportunity, I'm sure it's a
combination of the cool things that you can do with flash galleries
that you can't do any other way and the fact that Adobe's customers'
requested it.  Probably doesn't hurt that Adobe owns the flash
technology these days.

I think that they're talking about doing the same things with flash
that they did with PDF files, opening &/or standardizing the format so
that others can play too.  Not sure of that though.

g.

Message from hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell) ([Leica] Lightroom Question: Web Gallery: Flash or HTML?)
Message from rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron) ([Leica] Lightroom Question: Web Gallery: Flash or HTML?)