Subject: [Leica] Belt-and-Suspenders Protection for your hard drive
From: hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Date: Tue Mar 20 20:17:22 2007

Ernest Nitka writes:
 > Jim andy advice on which vendor you use for you RAID device?

I don't have an answer in the windows world, but in the Mac OS X world
and the various *BSD/Linux worlds you can do RAID in software.

By and large there's enough excess horsepower in our systems that
doing RAID in software's not a noticable performance hit.

On the plus side, if there's a problem you can put the drives into
almost any similar hardware and get back on your feet.  If you're
running with hardware RAID you need to find a similar/identical
hardware base to get going again.

If you're still looking for PC hardware RAID (still can't speak to the
Windows support though, just the *BSD/linux tools), I've had great
luck with the 3Ware and Areca products.

g.