Subject: [Leica] IMG: Ira's PAW - Week 18 - Woody Woodpecker
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Thu May 10 07:03:36 2007

Ira,

I like the first photo the best. The composition is very nice. Bird
photography is not as easy as Doug makes it look. About your photo.
Yes it is soft but maybe for a couple reasons. Here are a couple
things I've found out about my bird photography.

1. Never autofocus.
2. Use a lens longer then 300mm, preferably a prime lens unless the
zoom is of prime quality.
3. I never use auto exposure. Generally the small object like a bird
will be under exposed against the brighter background.
4. Try and stay at or below ISO 400. Bird photos will most likely
need cropping. The added noise of the higher ISO's will make the
photo softer as well, especially if the focus is not dead perfect.
5. Find some Leica glass for your Canon. ;-)

6. And finally, I get many more failures then successes. Keep trying.

Len