Subject: [Leica] Lens Cleaners
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Apr 24 22:32:24 2007

I use ROR (Residual Oil Remover) to clean my
specs.  I do not use it to clean my
lenses:  these get cleaned by what I have at
hand, generally a microfiber cloth once I have
knocked the most of the tortoise turds off the
elements, but that is a tale for a different day
and I've never had the joy of Ted's experience at
being at the wrong moment at the wrong end of a
cow.  Cows are synapsids, as are us humans, and
we enjoy sphincter control.  Anapsids (turtles
and tortoises) and Diapsids (crocodiles, lizards
and snakes, and archosaurs - dinosaurs, including
birds) do not.  I can foregive my Sulcata
tortoise for occasionally squirting at me.  But
that cow which Ted such a job!  Wow, that was a
synapsid and did have sphincter control!  But I
digress and, in any event, Ted has since sold the
gear to some lucky fellow on the LUG ... uh, I hope he DID tell you the
story?

Eight years or so back, there was a fellow on the
LUG hawking a rival brand of lens cleaner to
ROR.  Does anyone recall who this was or what the
cleaner might have been?  It seems to have
dropped off the market even more rapidly than did the Leica SLR cameras.

In 1969, I picked up as a promo a "British
Buttner" pipe reamer.  This broke last evening,
after 38 years of quite creditable use.  I went
on the 'Net this evening and found that this was
both an item of antiquarian interest -- a number
were available from antique stores for $US 80 and
the like -- and of smoking interest:  it turns
out that this item has been in continuous
production since 1945, and I paid $US 12.90 for a
"British-made" replacement.  62 years in
production is impressive, though the Zeiss 8x,
21mm TURMON folding monocular still takes the
cake, having been produced without interruption
since 1921.  Take that, Model T!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!