Subject: [Leica] Lens Cleaners
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Apr 24 23:07:10 2007

At 01:44 AM 4/25/2007, Brian Reid wrote:

 >> Eight years or so back, there was a fellow on the LUG hawking a rival
 >> brand
 >> of lens cleaner to ROR.  Does anyone recall
who this was or what the cleaner
 >> might have been?  It seems to have dropped off the market even more
 >> rapidly
 >> than did the Leica SLR cameras.
 >
 >It's still on the market, you can buy it at many camera stores, and
 >I've got a bottle right here in front of me. The company founder, Joe
 >Codispoti, is sometimes subscribed to the LUG and sometimes is not.
 >Just now he's not.
 >
 >ClearSight is great stuff, and I've used it for years to clean lenses,
 >glasses, flatbed scanners, and so on. I'll never go back to ROR.
 >
 >ClearSight tastes awful, though....
 >

 >The manufacturer's URL is http://www.clearsightusa.com/
 >
 >You can buy their products from B&H:
 >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=clearsight&ci=0&sb
 >=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=product.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

Thank you, Brian.  Now that you reminded me, I
recall having tried it back in the
Longago.  Allow it to be that it did not meet my
standards, but, again, I come from a generation
older than yours which understands just how
strong optical glass is and so we accept that the
finest item for swiping off a $3,500 lens is a
de-serviced cloth diaper, though I doubt that
many on the LUG will know what a cloth diaper
would be.  Two or three years of service with
repetitive washings, and they did make the
perfect lens cleaning cloths.  But, again, that
was then and this is now.  ClearSight is a decent
product but didn't work worth a damn on my
eyeglasses, while ROR cleans them right up.  Go figure.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Lens Cleaners)