Subject: [Leica] Noctilux M8 back focus update -- Erwin Puts inroduction
From: tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Tue Apr 24 19:12:26 2007

Rather than jumping to the conclusion that the Noctilux is unusable
on the M8, perhaps adjusting one's technique in anticipation of the
problem is in order.   You said as much yourself - instead of
focusing on the eyeball, focus on the tip of the nose when shooting
at f 2.0, for example.  Like Ted practicing to "lead" the peak of
action when releasing the shutter in order to get the basketball in
the frame instead of p-shopping one in!

I myself have not visited Erwin's site in a while, and am enjoying
his many M8 articles.  Here's another excerpt discussing this issue,
of which Leica was evidently aware, as they increased the tolerance
of the RF mechanism by a factor of ten to help compensate:

"Sensor based cameras
The main characteristic of the sensor surface is its absolutely flat
surface: there is no depth like we have in film emulsions. Here we
cannot count on emulsion thickness to compensate for mechanical
errors in accuracy or focus shift.

Leica does know this of course. And the tolerance level of the whole
rangefinder adjustment chain has been narrowed accordingly. The
tolerance level in film based cameras is a few hundreds of a
millimetre, in the M8 that level has been reduced to a few thousands
of a millimetre. That does not imply that the factual tolerance level
is a factor ten narrower!

In reality the factor is about three to four times. This makes the M8
the most accurately machined and assembled M camera in history. This
is done to compensate for the lack of image capture thickness.

When focussed accurately the focus plane is spot on on the sensor
surface.

The other side of the medal is the fact that focus shift might be
more noticeable when stopping down: another argument not to stop down
too much when you need critical sharpness at the focus point.

We should also realise that any mechanical part and any manual
adjustment has a small level of tolerance that may cancel out (good)
or add up (bad). So some misalignment of the rangefinder mechanism
should be kept in mind. You cannot work at zero tolerance.

Here we run against the limits of mechanical precision equipment."

Tom