Subject: [Leica] Noctilux M8 back focus update
From: faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman)
Date: Tue Apr 24 13:15:56 2007

So I spent an evening with my M8, a sturdy tripod and a focus chart.
I know this is obsessive naval gazing and not art but here is what I found:

The 35mm asph summicron and 4th generation 50mm summicron are dead on at
near focus and wide open.
Stepping down aperture shows the focus stays near center.

However- the Noctilux, while dead on at f/1.0 shows severe back focus the
higher the f stop.
At f/5.6, the plane of focus is nearly 6 cm behind the target, at target is
blurred.

I plan to rerun the test with a borrowed M6 and film.

Eric

left calls with Leica NJ - everyone techincal seems to be out of the office!

Replies: Reply from tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield) ([Leica] Noctilux M8 back focus update -- Erwin Puts inroduction)