Subject: [Leica] Polarizing filter
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Apr 22 19:35:16 2007

At 10:04 PM 4/22/2007, G Hopkinson wrote:

 >Leica's design is a circular polarizer, so you could use it on AF
 >cameras as well, assuming filter size compatibility. The filter
 >has a more complex mount, allowing it to be swung through 180 degrees
 >from in front of the lens to see the effect through your
 >finder. The effect is the same as long as the change is 180 degrees.
 >Sadly they cost a gazillion dollars but I suppose that would be no
 >surprise. I thought that the Kenko was a neat idea and cheaper
 >alternative, however I haven't handled one.
 >The BW filter handbook has some good basics on polarizer filter
 >design. You can download it.

Again, Hoppy, there are a LOT of Leitz and Leica
polarizing filters which have been made over the
past seventy years, and concentrating only on the
rather oddball current model is probably a bit
unfair, when a basic E39 filter can be had on
eBay for $20 or so most days.  And when the asker
(the Degraded Old English version of the Latin
"Querent")  identifies what equipment he has and
what uses he is intending, then we can be of a
lot more assistance.  But a blank question of
"how do I use a polarizer on a rangefinder
camera" is about like asking, "what is the proper
tire pressure for my car?".  It all depends ...

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Polarizing filter)