Subject: [Leica] NPR comments on photography, Now video grabs
From: tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Fri Apr 20 15:51:51 2007

Sorry, Tina, the forum remark was more in jest and as a comment to
how there are so many ways of looking at the problem.  I should have
put a winkie thing there. I am enjoying the discussion very much.

This is hardly a new discussion.  Ansel Adams, that Rocks 'n' Trees
photographer, was criticized for spotting out a whitewashed "LP" from
the hillside in his 1944 Winter Sunrise.  The students of Lone Pine
High School put it there to show school spirit.  In Examples, Adams
states:   "I have been criticized by some for doing this, but I am
not enough of a purist to perpetuate the scar and thereby destroy --
for me, at least -- the extraordinary beauty and perfection of the
scene."  One could argue that his work was journalism since his
express purpose was to influence politics and change public opinion
in order to preserve the environment.  Is making the pictures more
beautiful than the hills really are therefor dishonest and an offense
to journalistic integrity?  Do the ends justify the means?  The
practice is just easier now from a technical standpoint, and perhaps
therefore more prevalent.

  The NPPA ethics rule cited by the ToledoBlade editor states not to
change the journalistic content -- but he then goes on with the
assumption that the leg amputation does so, without discussing why.
No one seems to be talking about what that means.  I don't see why
the word "journalistic" is there if the standard is no alteration at
all.  That's the Lawyer in me.  (In law school we were told that
there is no sentence in the English Language cannot be made ambiguous
by a good Lawyer.)  In legal interpretation, it would be assumed the
word "journalistic" must be interpreted to modify or limit "content"
if it is there at all, as an interpretation that gives meaning to the
word is favored over one that does not.

The praying ballplayers' scene was obviously posed - by the coach if
not by the photographers -- I'm not saying that's bad -- they wanted
to send the message that they were remembering their lost friends.
Otherwise they would have prayed in the locker room instead of in a
neat circle in front of the signs for a nice photo op.  That's a good
thing.  But why fire the photographer over it???  He's not misleading
anyone as to what took place at that event, and it is a better
picture that is more enjoyable to look at.  To me, misleading as to
what took place at the event is what would constitute changing the
journalistic content.  Even the competitor's picture with the legs
appears to have enhanced contrast.  The Editor was obviously
embarrassed by his competitors and felt he had to adopt a "zero
tolerance" policy to regain credibility.  The only image I have seen
in this discussion that I think inaccurately represents an event is
the English soldier picture, and that is subject to interpretation as
to whether one thinks that he appears to be menacing the civilian
carrying the children.  The original frame shows he, and the
civilians, were clearly looking at something off-frame at the time,
and that is ambiguous and subject to misinterpretation in the altered
photo.

An aspect is the expectation of literal accuracy  from a photo.  If
any of these images were sketches or drawings, none of these would
have been questioned.  Remember when newspapers had to send sketch
artists to courtrooms?  No one would have questioned whether they
left out the bailiff standing behind the witness, or whether the
judge looked more bored than he was depicted.  If it had been a
sketch of the soldier, no one wold be saying, here's another picture
and he was never threatening that guy."

And as far as video cams are concerned, I wholeheartedly agree that
there would be a tremendous loss to the artistic side of journalism,
and I'm sure there will be substantial image processing since even a
10800 high def image  frame is only 1 or 2 mp.  Is the argument for
video cams, in part, that still photos are unreliable and subject to
misinterpretation?  Why wouldn't it be just as easy to manipulate?
The videocam thing is probably underlying a cost savings aspect, and
rationalizing a journalistic reason for it -- why send a still
photographer as well?  (Like saying we're going after WMD's instead
of oil, but that is one for the Forum!)

Tom