Subject: [Leica] integrity ?
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed Apr 18 13:51:59 2007

I feel guilty when cropping an image for heavens sake, but not moving
things around before taking a shot, if I can.  What does it matter either
way?  Why should subtle changes in an image provoke such anger?  It doesn't
change the reality of whatever the situation is, won't prevent millions
from starvation or murder, not likely to cause millions to be murdered, or
starved.  May change our perception about who we think we are. And what's
more important then that these days?  Perhaps we have become sensitive to
having our perceptions manipulated.  We should all go back and read Edward
Bernaise and Walter Lippman's   instructional works on propaganda in a
democracy.

At 02:48 PM 4/18/2007, you wrote:
>But would you move something in the foreground? Say a cup on a table that
>was cluttering the image. I know I've moved rubbish bins in the past to get
>a shot :-), but then I'd never claim to be a documentary shooter, just a
>part time snapper.
>
>Steve
>

>On 18/4/07 01:39, "Tina Manley" <images@comporium.net> wrote:
>

> > What do you think?  Does previsualization mean that the photograph
> > was manipulated subconsciously?  I don't think so. I might imagine a
> > photo that I would like to take of a family in Central America, but
> > that would only mean that I would only look for situations to take
> > that photo.  I would never move people into position or change
> > circumstances to make the photo happen when it wouldn't have without
> > my being there.  Moving people into position or suggesting situations
> > or adding lights or manipulating photographs in the darkroom goes way
> > beyond previsualization, to me, and would not be acceptable for
> > documentary or news photographs.  I think many so-called documentary
> > photographs today should be reclassified as art photographs if the
> > situations were manipulated or directed by the photographer.  That is
> > not documentary or news photography.

Chris Saganich, Sr. Physicist
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018@med.cornell.edu